Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What is the deal with People?

SO I had to write one last paper in my religion and culture class. We had the whole semester to write this one because we had to attend three different church denominations other than our own. I went to a Catholic serivce, Mars Hill, and Nappanee Missionary. All were very different from each other, but each served its members well. I realized through all this that people need different churches. I love GCC it's the place for me! BUT its not for everyone. Just as these churches really didnt fit my personality but they worked for their congration. Now today was the day we turned in these papers and got to talk about our experiences. I was really excited to talk about what I had learned and all the cool things that happened and also so some stuff that I thought didnt work. After class I was totally sad and frustrated. People in my class totally just bashed other churches. Especially GCC and a couple other larger churches were targeted. They say that GCC is commercialized, its a big marketing scam, they disrespect God's house by having coffee and such....etc. One lady even said "I heard that they dont use the Bible, I mean no one ever brings the Bible to church" Most of my class time was spent trying to explain that we do have Bibles , we use them, we love Jesus, We love people, and thats why we do what we do. It totally was a negative experience. I really broke my heart that people just bash each others churches. Why do we do this? People have different needs. Jesus understood this. This has just been coming up so much lately. I will never comprehend why people focus so much on what others are doing. I mean I care about people that are close to me dont misundertand this. I just think that the Devil is putting this idea in people's heads that everyone should believe excatly the same thing. Now while some things are black and white....there is alot of gray area. And the gray area is up to that person and God. No need to judge one persons gray area becuase it is not the same as yours. Love each other! Each one of my friends is different and unique we all believe slightly different things on certain issues and that is why I love them and find them so interesting. Ok Im going to get off the soap box now. Everyone have a great day!!!

1 comments:

Jeanna said...

While my first reaction to your post was some anger and frustration, I was also glad to hear that someone (meaning you) was there to set them straight. Thank you for standing up for our church, your beliefs and helping people to see the truth more clearly.